Learning To Be Alone Without Feeling Lonely


For a long time, I was scared of being alone. Not because I didn't like my own company, but because I thought being alone meant I was unlovable. I thought if I was alone, it meant something was wrong with me.

So I kept people around even when they hurt me. I stayed in conversations that drained me. I said yes when I wanted to say no. All because I was scared of that quiet moment when it would just be me.

But life taught me how to be alone, not by choice, but by necessity. People left. Plans failed. And there I was, alone. At first, it felt like punishment. The house was too quiet. The nights were too long. I kept reaching for my phone, hoping someone would fill the silence.

Then one morning, I made myself a cup of tea and sat with myself. No phone. No music. Just me and my tea. And for the first time, being alone did not feel lonely. It felt peaceful.

That was the day I learned the difference.

Loneliness is feeling like you need someone else to complete you. Being alone is realizing you are already complete, and you get to choose who you share your energy with.

Learning to be alone taught me so much.

It taught me that I can enjoy my own company. I can take myself for coffee. I can laugh at my own jokes. I can sit in a room and feel calm, not anxious.

It taught me that being alone is where I hear myself the clearest. When there is no noise from other people telling me who I should be, I can finally hear who I actually am.

It also taught me to stop begging for seats at tables where I was not wanted. When you are comfortable being alone, you stop chasing people who make you feel lonely even when you are with them.

If you are alone right now, I want you to know that you are not being punished. You are being prepared. This alone season is teaching you how to love yourself in a way that no one else can. It's teaching you to be your own home, so that when people do come into your life, you are sharing your wholeness, not begging them to fill your emptiness.

So light a candle. Make your favorite food. Play that song you love. Romanticize your alone time. Because learning to be alone without feeling lonely is one of the most powerful things you will ever learn.

You are not alone because you are unlovable. You are alone because you are learning to love yourself first.

And that love will change everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Being a Single Mom Taught Me About Strength

The Day I Stopped Trying to Prove Myself to Everyone

The Day I Stopped Waiting to Be Chosen