5 Small Habits That Saved My Mental Health
For a long time, I thought healing had to be big. I thought I needed more money, a new life, or to finally become the woman I imagined in my head.
But healing didn't come that way for me. It came in small, boring, quiet habits that nobody posted about.
These 5 small habits are what actually saved my mental health:
1. Making My Bed Every Single Morning
This was the first one. Before I checked my phone, before I thought about my problems, I made my bed. It took 2 minutes. But it gave me one win before 8am. On days when my thoughts felt messy and out of control, I could look at my bed and say, "At least I did that." Sometimes you need one small proof that you can still show up for yourself.
2. Stepping Outside for 10 Minutes With No Phone
I started forcing myself to go outside. Not to jog. Not to be productive. Just to sit. I would leave my phone inside and sit on my chair or under a tree. I would watch the clouds, listen to people passing, feel the sun on my face. I realized I was spending 23 hours a day inside my own head. Going outside reminded me that there is a whole world still breathing, even when I feel stuck.
3. Writing The Truth, Not The Pretty Version
In my journal, I stopped writing what I thought I should feel. I started writing what I actually felt. "Today I am angry at everyone." "I feel behind in life." "I am tired of being strong." I didn't try to fix it. I just wrote it down. Putting the ugly thoughts on paper took away their power. They were no longer secrets eating me inside. They were just words I could see and understand.
4. Learning To Say No Without a Long Explanation
This one was hard. I used to say yes because I felt guilty. Then I would feel resentful and exhausted. Now I practice saying, "I can't do that today" or "That doesn't work for me." No long story. No apology. Saying no is how I protect my energy. I learned that if I keep saying yes to everything, I have nothing left for myself.
5. Fixing The Basics: Water, Sleep, and Less Scrolling
I was searching for deep spiritual healing while I was drinking no water, sleeping at 1am, and scrolling for 4 hours before bed. No wonder I felt anxious. I started doing the basics again. A glass of water first thing in the morning. Phone off by 10:30pm. Sleeping even when my mind wanted to overthink. My mental health improved by 50% just from respecting my body.
I am not 100% healed. I still have days when I feel low, when I compare myself, when I cry for no reason.
But now I have habits that catch me when I fall.
You don't need to change your whole life tomorrow. You just need one small habit today.
Start with making your bed. Start with drinking water. Start with 10 minutes outside.
Small habits save you in a big way.
Thank you for reading 🤍
If this resonated with you, I also share gentle reminders on Tumblr here:
https://www.tumblr.com/16sammie/828639998088790016/5-small-habits-that-saved-my-mental-health?source=share... Follow me on Tumblr @16sammie for more soft self-care posts.
#smallhabits #selfcare #healingjourney

Comments
Post a Comment