The Train That Only Appears During Fog


 Some stories begin with a scream. Others begin with silence. Mine began with the sound of a train that shouldn't have existed.*

 Introduction

Every town has a legend that locals refuse to discuss after sunset. In my hometown, people whisper about an abandoned railway that disappeared decades ago. The tracks were removed, the station collapsed, and nature reclaimed everything.

Yet every time a thick fog covers the valley, people claim to hear the distant whistle of an old steam train.

Most dismiss it as imagination.

Until they see it.

This is the story of **The Train That Only Appears During Fog**.

The Forgotten Railway

The old Blackridge Railway stopped operating in the early 1960s after a devastating accident. According to old newspaper clippings, a train carrying more than fifty passengers vanished into a wall of dense fog before crashing somewhere along the mountain pass.

The strange part?

No wreckage was ever officially found.

Some believed the train had fallen into a hidden ravine.

Others insisted it had simply... disappeared.

Eventually, the railway closed, and people tried to forget.

But legends have a way of surviving.

The First Whistle

I was driving home late one evening after visiting relatives. The weather changed quickly, and a thick blanket of fog swallowed the road.

Visibility dropped to only a few meters.

Then I heard it.

A long, mournful train whistle echoed through the valley.

At first I laughed.

There hadn't been a railway here for over sixty years.

But the sound came again.

Closer this time.

Lights in the Mist

Curiosity got the better of me.

I parked the car and followed the sound through the trees.

The fog became even thicker.

Then I saw two glowing lights moving slowly toward me.

A train.

An ancient black steam locomotive emerged from the mist without making a sound except for the gentle hiss of steam.

It rolled across tracks that no longer existed.

The windows glowed with warm yellow light.

Inside sat dozens of passengers.

None of them moved.

None of them blinked.

Every face stared straight ahead.

The Silent Conductor

As the train stopped beside me, the door opened with a metallic creak.

A conductor stepped onto the platform—or where the platform should have been.

He wore a faded uniform covered in dust.

His pocket watch had stopped at exactly **11:47 PM**.

Without speaking, he simply raised one hand and gestured for me to board.

For reasons I still cannot explain...

I almost did.

A Warning from the Shadows

Just as I placed one foot on the train, someone grabbed my shoulder.

An elderly woman appeared from the fog.

"Don't get on," she whispered.

"You'll never come back."

When I turned to ask who she was, she had already disappeared.

The conductor's smile slowly faded.

The train whistle echoed once more.

The doors closed.

Seconds later, the locomotive vanished into the fog as if it had never existed.

The Old Journal

The next morning I visited the town library.

An old librarian listened quietly as I described what I had seen.

Instead of laughing, he disappeared into the archives.

He returned carrying a dusty journal written by a railway engineer in 1962.

One entry caught my attention:

> "If the fog is thick enough, the lost train returns looking for passengers to replace those it never brought home."

I felt cold reading those words.

Because the description of the conductor matched exactly.

 More Sightings

Over the following weeks, I began asking older residents about the legend.

Most refused to answer.

But a few admitted they had heard the whistle.

One farmer claimed the train passed through his field every winter.

A retired police officer said he once investigated reports of lights moving across abandoned tracks.

Neither could explain what they had witnessed.

They both ended their stories the same way:

"If you ever see the train...

Don't wave.

Don't follow.

And whatever you do...

Don't get on."

 The Final Encounter

Months passed without another sighting.

Then one cold evening, the fog returned.

This time I stayed inside my house.

Around midnight, the whistle echoed again.

I looked through the window.

The train rolled silently across the empty field behind my home.

As it passed, every passenger slowly turned their heads toward me.

Every single one.

One seat near the back remained empty.

Waiting.

The conductor tipped his hat before the train disappeared into the darkness.

I haven't heard the whistle since.

But whenever fog covers the valley, I lock every door and close every curtain.

Some legends don't need to be believed.

They only need one more passenger.

Conclusion

Whether the phantom train is a ghostly remnant of the past or simply a story passed from generation to generation, reports of mysterious "ghost trains" have appeared in folklore around the world for centuries. They often describe spectral locomotives that appear under unusual conditions, such as at night or in heavy mist, inspiring stories just like this one. ([PDSH Fandom][1])

If you ever find yourself standing in thick fog and hear the distant whistle of an old steam train...

Don't assume it's your imagination.

Some journeys were never meant to end.

**Did you enjoy this story?** Share it with your friends

 and let them decide whether they would board the mysterious train—or stay safely on the platform.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Being a Single Mom Taught Me About Strength

The Day I Stopped Trying to Prove Myself to Everyone

The Day I Stopped Waiting to Be Chosen