The Old Well Behind Grandma's House
Some places hold memories.
Others hold secrets.
My grandmother's old farmhouse sat at the edge of a forgotten village, surrounded by towering trees and endless fields. Every school holiday, my cousins and I visited her. The house was warm, filled with the smell of homemade bread, old photographs, and stories that seemed older than time itself.
But there was one place we were never allowed to go.
The old well behind the house.
Whenever we asked why, Grandma's smile disappeared.
"Some doors," she would whisper, "are meant to stay closed."
We laughed.
We thought she was trying to scare us.
We were wrong.
## The Forgotten Well
The well stood about fifty meters behind the farmhouse, hidden beneath thick vines and crooked trees. Moss covered the old stones, and the wooden cover looked as though it hadn't been touched for decades.
Even during the hottest summer days, the air around it felt strangely cold.
No birds sang nearby.
No insects buzzed.
The silence itself felt alive.
Grandma never explained why.
She simply said, "Promise me you'll never go there after sunset."
As children, promises were easy to make......and even easier to break.
## The Whisper
One evening, when I was fifteen, curiosity got the better of me.
The sun had already disappeared behind the hills as I quietly slipped outside with a flashlight.
The path to the well felt longer than I remembered.
Every step seemed heavier.
The trees barely moved, yet I could hear something...
Someone...
Whispering my name.
"Come closer..."
I froze.
There was nobody there.
Only the old well.
The wooden cover had somehow shifted open.
I was certain it had been closed earlier that day.
## Looking Inside
I pointed my flashlight into the darkness.
The beam disappeared before reaching the bottom.
It looked endless.
Then I heard it.
Drip...
Drip...
Drip...
Water echoed far below.
Then another sound.
A soft laugh.
It wasn't loud.
It wasn't angry.
It sounded... happy.
Like someone was waiting.
Suddenly my flashlight flickered.
Then went out completely.
I stood in total darkness.
## The Voice
Just as I reached for my phone, a woman's voice floated up from inside the well.
Soft.
Gentle.
Almost comforting.
"You're finally here."
My heart pounded.
I stumbled backwards.
The voice continued.
"I've been waiting for someone to listen."
I wanted to run.
Instead...
I found myself stepping closer.
Almost as if something inside the well was pulling me.
## Grandma's Secret
Before I reached the edge again, someone grabbed my arm.
It was Grandma.
I've never seen fear on her face before that night.
She pulled me away without saying a word.
Back inside the house, she locked every door and closed every curtain.
Finally, she spoke.
"Your great-grandfather dug that well nearly one hundred years ago."
She paused.
"They found water..."
"But they also found something they couldn't explain."
Workers began hearing voices.
People claimed they saw figures standing inside the darkness.
Several villagers disappeared after visiting it alone.
No bodies were ever found.
Eventually the well was sealed.
Everyone agreed never to speak about it again.
## The Final Warning
The next morning, I walked outside.
The well looked normal.
The cover was back in place.
The vines hadn't moved.
It almost convinced me that everything had been a nightmare.
Then I noticed something.
Fresh footprints.
Only one set.
They began at the well...
And ended halfway across the yard.
There were no footprints leading toward it.
Only away.
As though someone...
Or something...
Had climbed out during the night.
## Years Later
Grandma passed away several years later.
The farmhouse was eventually sold.
The new owners removed the old trees and repaired the property.
But the well remained untouched.
Construction workers reportedly refused to go near it.
Some claimed they heard whispers.
Others said their tools disappeared overnight.
No one stayed long enough to investigate.
The house has changed owners several times since then.
The well is still there.
Waiting.
## Final Thoughts
Sometimes the oldest family warnings aren't superstitions—they're survival.
Whether the whispers came from my imagination or something hidden beneath the earth, I'll never know.
But one thing is certain.
If you ever visit an old farmhouse and someone tells you not to go near the abandoned well
Listen.
Because not every secret wants to stay buried forever.
**Did you enjoy this chilling story?**
Share it with friends who love mysterious tales, and leave a comment below:
**Would you have looked inside the well... or walked away?**

Comments
Post a Comment