10 Simple Dinner Ideas When You Don't Know What To Cook
It was one of those evenings when I stood in front of the refrigerator for what felt like ten minutes, hoping something inside would magically tell me what to cook.
There were a few vegetables, some chicken, eggs, leftover rice and a packet of pasta. Nothing looked particularly exciting.
I almost decided to make the same meal I had made several times before.
Then I thought, **“Maybe I don't need a complicated recipe. Maybe I just need to look at what I already have differently.”**
That evening, I started experimenting with simple ingredients. What I discovered was that some of the best dinners don't require expensive ingredients or hours in the kitchen.
Here are 10 simple dinner ideas for those nights when you simply don't know what to cook.
1. Chicken and Rice
The first thing I noticed was the chicken sitting in the refrigerator.
I seasoned it with spices I already had, cooked it with onions and garlic, and served it with rice. I added some vegetables on the side.
It was simple, but surprisingly delicious.
**The lesson:** You don't need a complicated recipe to make a satisfying chicken dinner.
2. Quick Homemade Pasta
On another evening, pasta came to the rescue.
I boiled some pasta and made a quick sauce with tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasoning. Sometimes I add chicken or vegetables when I have them available.
It's one of those meals that can be changed depending on what's in your kitchen.
3. Vegetable Stir-Fry
Sometimes vegetables can look boring until you put them in a hot pan.
I cut up carrots, peppers, onions and other vegetables I had available. I cooked everything with a little oil, garlic and seasoning.
I served it with rice, and suddenly an ordinary collection of vegetables had become dinner.
4. Potatoes and Eggs
This is one of my favorite options when I want something quick.
I cut potatoes into small pieces, cooked them until they were golden, and added eggs.
With a little seasoning and some onions, it became a filling meal without requiring many ingredients.
5. Homemade Burgers
There are days when I want fast food but don't want to leave the house.
That's when homemade burgers are perfect.
I prepare simple chicken or beef patties and add them to burger rolls with lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese and sauce.
The best part is that I can choose exactly what goes into my burger.
6. Leftover Fried Rice
One of the biggest dinner discoveries I made was that leftover rice doesn't have to go to waste.
I put the rice in a hot pan with vegetables and eggs, added seasoning, and turned it into fried rice.
Sometimes I add leftover chicken too.
It's quick, filling and gives yesterday's food a completely different taste.
7. Pap With a Simple Stew
Some evenings call for something warm and comforting.
Pap with a simple stew is one of those meals.
A basic stew made with meat, tomatoes, onions and seasoning can turn a simple plate of pap into a satisfying dinner.
It's also a great meal when you're cooking for several people.
8. Grilled Chicken and Vegetables
When I want something simple, I season chicken and cook it until it's fully done.
I serve it with vegetables and sometimes rice or potatoes.
There's something satisfying about putting together a simple plate without having to use lots of ingredients.
9. Tuna Sandwiches
Not every dinner needs to be a big cooked meal.
When I'm really tired, a tuna sandwich can be enough.
I mix tuna with a little mayonnaise, onion and seasoning, then put it between slices of bread. Adding tomato, cucumber or lettuce makes it even better.
It's quick, simple and requires very little preparation.
10. Easy Homemade Pizza
One evening, I looked at some leftover ingredients and thought, **“Why not make pizza?”**
I used a suitable pizza base, added tomato sauce, cheese and whatever toppings I had available.
After baking it, I realized that homemade pizza doesn't have to be complicated.
You can use chicken, vegetables, mushrooms, peppers or almost any topping you enjoy.
What I Learned About Making Dinner
After trying different meals, I realized something important.
The problem isn't always that we don't have food.
Sometimes we simply don't know how to turn the ingredients we already have into something different.
A few potatoes can become crispy potatoes with eggs.
Leftover rice can become fried rice.
Chicken can become pasta, sandwiches, rice bowls or pizza toppings.
Vegetables can become a stir-fry.
And a few simple ingredients can sometimes create a meal that tastes much better than expected.
## Make Dinner Easier
If you often find yourself asking, **“What should I cook tonight?”**, try keeping a few basic ingredients available.
Rice, pasta, potatoes, eggs, onions, vegetables, chicken, canned foods and basic seasonings can give you plenty of options.
You can also plan a few meals before the week starts. You don't need a complicated meal plan. Even having three or four ideas ready can make dinner time less stressful.
Most importantly, don't be afraid to experiment.
You might discover a new favorite meal simply because you decided to use what you already had.
# Final Thought
That evening when I stood staring into the refrigerator, I thought I had nothing interesting to cook.
I was wrong.
I didn't need a fancy recipe. I just needed a little creativity.
So the next time you find yourself standing in the
kitchen wondering what to cook, look at the ingredients you already have.
**Your next great dinner might already be sitting in your kitchen.**

Comments
Post a Comment