THE DOLL THAT MOVED WHEN NO ONE WAS LOOKING


## Some toys are meant to be forgotten.

When I was twelve years old, my grandmother gave me a porcelain doll she had kept hidden in her attic for decades.

Its name was Emily.

The doll wore a faded white dress, black leather shoes, and had long golden curls that looked strangely untouched by time. But it was the eyes that unsettled me. Deep blue. Bright. Almost... alive.

"There is only one rule," my grandmother said before placing it in my hands.

"Never leave her where she can see you sleep."

I laughed, thinking she was trying to scare me.

She didn't laugh back.

---

That night I placed Emily on a chair in the corner of my bedroom.

When I woke the next morning, she was sitting on my desk.

I blamed my little brother.

He swore he hadn't touched it.

Mom believed him.

Dad laughed.

And I convinced myself I'd simply forgotten where I left it.

But it happened again.

And again.

Every morning the doll was somewhere different.

On the stairs.

At the kitchen table.

Standing outside the bathroom.

Once...

She was sitting on my bed.

---

I decided to prove everyone wrong.

I borrowed my father's old camcorder and pointed it directly at the doll before going to bed.

The next morning Emily was standing beside my bedroom door.

My hands shook as I replayed the tape.

For six straight hours...

Nothing happened.

The doll never moved.

The room remained silent.

Until exactly 3:17 a.m.

The recording suddenly filled with static.

The picture flickered for nearly thirty seconds.

When the image returned...

The chair was empty.

Emily was gone.

No footsteps.

No movement.

No sound.

Just...

Gone.

A few seconds later she was back in the chair as though nothing had happened.

Then the tape ended.

---

I refused to sleep in that room again.

Grandmother listened carefully as I explained everything.

She wasn't surprised.

"I hoped she had stopped," she whispered.

Then she finally told me the truth.

Emily had belonged to a little girl who disappeared over eighty years earlier.

Search parties looked for weeks.

They found only the doll.

From that day forward strange things happened wherever it stayed.

People claimed it appeared in different rooms.

Children heard someone whispering their names at night.

Several families threw it away.

Each time...

The doll came back.

---

Grandmother admitted she had hidden Emily in the attic because strange things followed the doll wherever it went.

Pictures fell from walls.

Doors opened by themselves.

Dogs refused to enter the house.

One night she woke to find the doll standing beside her bed.

She locked it in a wooden chest.

The next morning...

It was sitting in the hallway.

Smiling.

---

We decided to get rid of it together.

We drove nearly two hundred kilometers into the countryside and buried the doll beneath an old oak tree.

Neither of us spoke during the drive home.

For the first time in weeks...

I slept peacefully.

Until the following morning.

There, sitting in the hallway outside my bedroom...

Covered in fresh dirt...

Was Emily.

---

Years passed.

I moved to another city.

Started a new life.

Never spoke about the doll again.

One afternoon I received a phone call.

My grandmother had passed away peacefully in her sleep.

After the funeral, my family gathered to divide her belongings.

My uncle handed me a small wooden box.

"She wanted you to have this."

Inside was a folded note.

It read:

*"She's yours now."*

Beneath the note...

Lay Emily.

Looking exactly as she had the day I first met her.

Not a crack.

Not a scratch.

Not a speck of dust.

Only those blue eyes...

Watching.

Waiting.

---

That night I locked the doll inside a steel cabinet before going to bed.

I checked the lock three times.

It never opened.

Yet when I woke the next morning...

Emily was sitting quietly beside my bedroom door.

Facing my bed.

As if she had been watching me sleep all night.

I don't try to get rid of her anymore.

I've learned something terrifying.

The doll doesn't move when no one is looking.

It moves during the moments no camera can capture...

The moments no human mind can remember.

If you ever visit my house and notice a porcelain doll sitting in the corner...

Do me one favor.

Before you leave...

Look back.

If she's standing somewhere else...

Don't tell me.

I already know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Being a Single Mom Taught Me About Strength

The Day I Stopped Trying to Prove Myself to Everyone

The Day I Stopped Waiting to Be Chosen